We all deserve a little luxury in our lives.
This is luxury in a jar.
This body butter will have you feeling pampered from head to toe and smelling amazing. All on it's own, it will do great things for your skin, but add in the power of Young Living Essential Oils and you have a serious pampering powerhouse! Make your base, pick your oils and prepare to be amazed and moisturized. Very, very moisturized.
The recipe is simple.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/3 CUP COCONUT OIL (full of essential fatty acids, very moisturizing, mildly fragrant)
- 3 TBSP BEESWAX (thickens and helps hold moisture to skin while imparting a wonderful aroma)
- 2 TBSP SWEET ALMOND OIL ( very emollient and great to soften, soothe, and re-condition the skin)
- 3 TBSP COCOA BUTTER (adds a rich, creamy, and thick consistency, moisturizes and adds cocoa fragrance)
- 3 TBSP MANGO BUTTER (great source of essential fatty acids and adds lots of moisture)
Simply melt all of the ingredients together, pour into a glass jar and let cool in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.
OPTIONAL: WHIP IT UP! Want it fluffy? Place the body butter in a mixing bowl and let chill in the fridge for about 20 minutes then whip on high for a few minutes until peaks form. Pop it back in the fridge for another 30 minutes and you're done! It will stay whipped up unless exposed to high temperatures, in which case, you simply chill and whip again.
The next step is to pick your essential oil of choice. I just scoop out a little body butter and add 1-2 drops to it before applying. You could also add in your oils just before pouring into the jar to cool or as you whip it up if you are committing your entire batch to a certain oil combo. When choosing oils to blend, the beeswax in this recipe acts as a low note. Here are a few essential oils that are very good for skin:
- Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood
- Ylang Ylang
- Lemon (use only at night as it causes photo-sensitivity)
Check out the Essential Oil Desk Reference for more ideas on essential oils for the skin.
It is SO easy to modify this recipe! Want it a little thinner? Use less beeswax and a bit more of one of the oils or butters. Want it thicker? Use less coconut oil and a bit more beeswax. This is body *butter* so like butter, it will have a little layer that doesn't readily soak in. I LOVE that about it, but maybe you're looking for a recipe that soaks in a little quicker. If so, check out our silky lotion base recipe instead. It uses no coconut oil and can be made thicker by adding more beeswax and even some cocoa butter or mango butter! These recipes are just starting points and can be melted down and revised until you get it just the way you want it.